Thursday, November 5, 2009

Things are Getting Kind of Blurry.

I have spent my afternoon preparing the first lesson in a new series I will start teaching Sunday Night.  Through my studies I came across a very simple statement, simple and direct.   It is in William Evens book titled What Every Christian Should Believe.  Mr Evens says this "Philosophy and science never have nor never can save a soul"

Isn't that great!   I never have been a huge fan of science.  Dissecting a frog in High school was pretty cool, but really as a whole science, not my thing.  I took Philosophy in college and loved it.  I would have to read the chapter in the book over and over to try to get it, but I loved wrestling with the "deep thinkers" of history and trying to disprove their silly ideas.

Science and philosophy are not as a whole "bad"  However they both can take our eyes off of what is actually important.  Where should our eyes be focused?  Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." (ESV)

I have spent countless hours debating philosophical issues trying to convert a lost sinner to no success.  I have reasoned science with many athiest and agnostics, elequently showing the logic of Scripture, trying to win souls with no success.  The message that should constantly be our focus is the Gospel. 

Not the prosperity gospel, or some messed up version of our own gospel, but the gospel of Jesus Christ!  The Truth that we are hopeless sinners in need of a Savior.  The Truth that it is God's law that shows us our utter depravity.  The Truth that Jesus Christ was the substitutionary atonement on the cross for us, and absorbed the full wrath of God so that we could be made right in the eyes of a Holy God!  The Truth that if we die without the Savior, we face the wrath of God for all eternity in a literal hell.  The Truth that if we put our trust in Jesus, and repent we will be saved from eternal punishment.  THE GOSPEL!

I would like to encourage you today to stay focused.  Stay focused on the gospel.  Philosophy and science may do some good things, but they have never nor will they ever save a soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment