Friday, October 30, 2009

A Unique Taste

Question for ya, what do chicken nuggets, peanut butter, and shredded cheddar cheese have in common?  The answer, dinner with my 6 year old nephew.  I had heard rumors about this bizarre taste, but could not believe it  until I experienced it for myself last night.  It didn't take long and I had to taste this fine cuisine for myself.  As I chewed up my chicken nugget, covered in peanut butter and sprinkled in cheese my nephew Connor's grin grew from ear to ear.  Through his teethy grin, his words were of pure delight.  "Yeah you like that don't you Uncle Travis, you are going to go home at tell Aunt Jenny that you ate something delicious tonight"

This great night brought me to a part of my memory that I had all but forgotten.  A time in my life where such creations were an everyday experience.  I recall eating peanut butter and catchup sandwiches, and a pickle juice popsicle.  Looking back nothing sounds more disgusting, but there was a day  when I would dive into some concoction that I was sure would be the next greatest taste, and no one could tell me otherwise.

For Conner the peanut butter, cheesy chicken nuggets were great all by themselves, but where his passion really was, was not to just enjoy them by himself but to share this delicacy with someone else, and win a convert to this unique taste.

For many of us who claim to be followers of Christ we have lost this desire.  Psalm 34:8a says"Taste and see that the Lord is good" and we have done that.  We have seen His blessings, His comfort, His provision, and most importantly the salvation that He has provided, however we have become content to keep these treasures to ourselves.

Maybe it is because we have tried to share it, but have been told no by to many people.  We have become discouraged, and have given up.  Or maybe we think it just sound to crazy and no one else would believe us when we speak to how good God is.  Or maybe we have been tasting for so long, we have allowed the sweetness of God to become as bland and tasteless as a rice cake.

My thought for the day is let us remember the great taste of God, that we once enjoyed and savored each precious bite.  Let us become passionate again to share His goodness with everyone we meet.  Let us not become weary when others think we are crazy, when others are not convinced of His goodness.  Let us go today, and tell someone "that we have tasted something so delicious" then offer them a bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment